Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sullivan Conference - New Roman Missal Translation

I participated in that conference and found it very helpful in understanding the whats, whys and wherefores of the new translation of the Roman Missal.

In spite of the fact that I am lukewarm in regards to the need for a new translation, I know it is coming. My thing is that I hope the people in the parishes get well catechized in regard to the changes so that confusion can be kept at a minimum. I think what happened during the changeover to the vernacular and more people participation after Vatican II, many many people did not understand why things were being changed. Thus it took a long time before people became comfortable with the new Liturgy, etc. and some simply dropped out... And that, of course, gave rise to the breakaway Latin Mass communities.

I'm looking forward to helping with the transition - I don't want the same confusion again in spite of my own personal desires for things to remain pretty much the same...

What say you folks? Did any of you attend the conference? If so, what did you think?

3 comments:

Katie Beaumont said...

It seems that the Bishop needs to instruct his priests as much, if not more, on the new translation. Having visited many parishes in the southeastern region of the diocese, I can honestly say that many priests do NOT even use the current missal when celebrating the Mass.

Example:
Priest: To whom do we lift up our hearts?
People: We lift them up to the Lord.

Do the people who answer that priest's question correctly get extra credit? Why stop there? Why not ask the congregation: What do ya'll believe? To which the congregation could respond with the creed "we believe....". Or the priest could ask: What's it like to give thanks and praise to God? To which the congregation could respond: It is right to give him thanks and praise. I know people and priests have good intentions when they try to make the universal wording of the Mass even better than the Church's wording but in all honesty, it sounds wierd to visitors when one parish does a different version of the Mass than other parishes. As long as the priests are rebels or spineless leaders, this nonesense will continue across the diocese. The bishop needs to come up with a plan to stop this nonesense (even if it may seem trivial to some). It's not that difficult: Just SAY the BLACK and DO the RED.

Anonymous said...

I hope someone will tell us what the conference said about the translation and how it will be implemented in our diocese.

standing maryanna said...

I attended the conference. I will try to write up something soon about it. Sorry if I can't get to it right away...